Baby River
8 lbs 8 oz
21.5 inches
Entered this world at 8:39 AM June 26th, 2019
Once again, I have been blessed with a natural, smooth labor at home with people who love and care for me. This labor did not start in my timing. But I know that it happened at the right time. While it does not feel so important now, it felt very important that I had the custom made gemstone necklace at my birth. It didn't make it in time. We were hoping that the birth would happen towards the end of the week for various reasons.
Tuesday night came around. I went over to my friend's house in the evening to help her with a migraine. We chatted together and had a great time. I got home arounf 10 pm, then watched Call the Midwife. Juniper woke up at 11:30 because she feel out of her bed. I comforted her and got her back to sleep. I went to bed around midnight.
Setting up for the birth:
Creighton started setting up the birthing tube.
I of course had to have my oils in the diffuser. I also had someone place my birthing gemstones around the tub.
We had to boil water to finish filling up the tub.
I woke up about 2:45 AM, tried to go to the bathroom. I felt like I needed to poop. I literally sat on the toilet for 15 minutes with this feeling and could not poop, and at the same time contractions or pressure waves as hypno babies describes them were getting to feel more intense. I couldn't relax through them, but I didn't need to breathe through them. I finally pooped a little and went back to bed. But the pressure waves were getting more uncomfortable. I prayed for an extra day or 2. I kept praying for an extra day and the pressure waves continued. Laying down, I would have a break, and another would start, then I would have a break, and another would start. And I had to breathe through them. Then, I decided text my midwife and let her know at 3:33 AM. By 4 AM, Melissa's assistant and Lindsey, my photographer were on their way to my house. And creighton was setting up the tub. I sat in the bathtub listening to hypobabies for about 30 min. I got out, and decided to lay in the bed for contractions.
Honestly, I was SO tired. I went to bed too late. I didn't eat a full dinner the night before.
All I wanted to do was sleep. I layed on my bed and closed my eyes listening to easy first stage labor- as I went through contractions. Heidi and Lindsey arrived around 4:40. Heidi helped hold my hands while I layed on the bed, gently stroking my hands. Creighton layed next to me rubbing my shoulders.
This was all really helpful. It was quite relaxing laying on the bed aside from the pressure waves which were getting intense. The Hypbobabies sound track was helpful because of the affirmations-" I deserve a easy and comfortable childbirth. Peeeaaccceee". I snacked on apples, which gave me extra energy. Eliza, the birth assistant arrived at 4:45. And Hope arrived at 5 AM.
I asked if the tub was ready, and when it was I immediately went to it at 5:42 AM. I had to stop at the keyboard chair for a contraction.
Stepping into the tub, I felt a surge of relaxation- Ahhh... The water was very warm and I got pretty warm as well. I sweated a LOT while in the tub. But I liked being in the tub at the same time. I kept replaying in my mind- "baby, we got this. We are a team. We work together so well". I focused on breathing down, doing low moans. Creighton helped remind me to breathe, and to do low moans. Eliza was the birth assistant. She had dreadlocks, and a tattoo of a woman nursing. I remember looking at it and liking it, asking her about her tattoo.
I remember talking between contractions about how I had a lot planned for the day. Becky Bench, a friend from my ward who I invited to my birth- was basically a 2nd doula. I apprecate her love and support at my birth so much. I called her a little after 5 am, and she was there right away. I sat in a squatting position, on my bum, a position where my legs were in a W.
I has a lot of rectal pressure at 6:10 AM.
Hope and Eliza noticed a "sacral bulge" at 7:10 AM, indicating that baby was moving down. And really, this part of my birth was a blurr. I do not have clear timing for it, except for the fact that my midwife gave me the timing details. I think Melissa arrived around 6 or 7 AM. And I was happy that she was there. By 7 AM, I was smelling wintergreen EO during my labor and holding an amethyst stone.
Eventually, I put it in my bra. At 7:05, Melissa asked what was helping me. They started doing counterpressure, which helped a lot with the pressure in my butt. From then on, there was counter pressure on both hips and my tail bone.'
At one point I asked and it was 6:30 AM. All I knew is that I could only take it one contraction at a time. Becky and Heidi would rub my hands gently. When I asked about Melissa, Eliza assured me I was in good hands. She told me "I was a birth warrior", and that "I was in control" While I was in the tub, I think labor picked up and kept getting more intense. I had back to back contractions and I would breathe through it and do low moans. Everyone there surrounded me with love.
Juniper woke up a little before 7. She was very hesitant with all the people in the room and seeing mommy struggle. She patted my hand a couple times, then went right back to dadd's lap. very different from Lily at Iris's birth. We had Laurel come get her around 8sih. Lily and Iris both seemed excited about the baby being born soon. They both insisted that they see the baby be born. With time. they wanted to go to the babysitter's house.
By 7:35 AM, Contractions picked up in intensity AND emotions. I started crying- I didn't want to do this anymore. I wanted to have my baby in my arms and be done. I think it was a good cry- an emotional release. I remember in the background hearing my girls say things like- "Why is mommy crying? Why is the baby not out yet?" Iris brought me toilet paper to blow my nose and was so sweet to me. But man, I was just so tired, I wanted to be done. I was apparently very vocal during this part of labor because of the rectal pain. I felt my mucus plug come out at 7:45 AM. I didn't know what it was until Melissa told me. Heidi assured me that this meant I was closer.
Becky brought them to Laurel's house and came right back. I could start to feel baby coming down. and it felt so uncomfortable. The head had not crowned yet and that felt so discouraging to me. I was still saying in my head-"come on baby. Let's do this together" Eliza suggested I visualize the baby coming out. I asked for her help- She said to look in her eyes and she would help ground me. "I was in control". Because at this point, I was starting to feel numb in my hands and lips.
Becky, Creighton, and Heidi were always there- encouraging me- letting me know I was surrounded by love. The contractions felt like they never stopped. I would have 2 back to back contractions, and then my tummy would still feel SO tight like it was another contraction. And then a really intense one would come. Oh the pressure in my butt-hole.
Creighton came in the tub at 8:05 AM.
It was reported that they saw a little of the head at 8:07 AM. I could feel the shift from transition to pushing. Because louder noises came out of my body and more stress. Not screaming, but- AHHH! Well, some screaming :p And then Eliza would be there to help me remember to relax and that I was in control. And would help ground me. Pushing felt like it lasted forever.
From the deep hard push to the light "AH AH AH AH" gentle pushes. At 8:24 AM, with a hard push, there was POP! like a cannonball out of my butt. The water bag popped. and burst out of me. I was discouraged- asking why baby wasn't out yet. The only thing I wanted was to be done. Heidi said that the next step was baby. Everyone told me I was doing so great and that I was almost done. I switched to a semi-reclined position, which helped baby to turn.
Pressure was applied to move his shoulder so he could come out easier. I felt baby come down- and saying "I'm coming mommy. I'm coming mommy". Baby crowned at 8:37 AM. I could feel the ring of fire stretching and that really hurt. I yelled at that moment. With another hard push, his head came out at 8:38 AM. And Creighton says it seems like his head was out for a long time- 2 contractions at least.
Then finally at 8:39 AM, his little but big body slid out as I pushed in a laying back position. (Melissa thought he was going to be a 9 lb baby with his head the size it was.
He relaxed, and then tension got high in the room with panic- they were worried for his oxygen levels. Got the plasic board out. did something with his nose.
(edited- They did 5 breathes with the bag to help inflate his lungs because his HR started to go down. This helped to stimulate his breathing) (Thanks to Becky for taking a few pics while Lindsey did the videography)
Then he cried, and the room relaxed again. I was so happy to be done. So so so relieved. We were all patient for the placenta to come out. And it did at 8:54 AM. One interesting thing about the placenta is that instead of the umbilical cord inserting in the middle, it inserted to the side of it, called the "battle door". He had a 20 inch cord, which made it harder to put him at my shoulder. He latched at 8:59 AM.
Melissa had to leave soon after bc someone else was in labor. She had 3 labors that morning... crazy! Eliza kept stressing thoughout the labor that I needed to hydrate. Because I was sweating. It took me awhile to express that I didn't like the water- so Becky made me lemonade and that helped a lot. Eliza also gave me a spoon of honey towards the end to give me some extra calories.
The girls was excited to see that they had a new baby brother. They were so excited. Juniper was much more hesitant. We sent them back to Laurels after meeting baby brother. It was nice to be in my bed just relaxing with baby. I was SOO tired. Eliza said I needed to pee before she could leave and it took me an hour to pee. All I wanted was to sleep. I cried on the toilet for 10 minutes. and finally it came out. I was so grateful for all the support and it still feels so surreal I have a BOY!

After birthing in the tub, they helped me to my bed. It felt so nice to lay down and rest. We weighed the baby, and did all the measurements. It was that moment of bliss after doing what felt so challenging. I also felt tired, exhausted, and empowered. One thing that was hard was to 'pee in the toilet'. Eliza could not leave until I peed, and it would not come out for a full hour. That was also very emotional because all I wanted to do was sleep.
Here are some other pics for your enjoyment:
The girls loved there new baby brother instantly.
We love and appreciate Heidi so much.
This is was the baby's home for 9 months.
Side note: Even though I have the times and details. In my mind, the timing was very fuzzy. It felt harder and like things weren't happening fast enough. And the last 2 hours were challenging emotionally. But when I look at the timing of the process of birth, it all went very smoothly and continually progressed. Even with the pushing, which in comparison to Juniper's birth, he did not slide out. She slid out of me with a couple pushes. I think looking back, what would have made my birth more ideal would to have eaten a full meal at dinner, gone to bed at 10 PM, and I would have had coconut water and lots of it in my fridge before I gave birth. Melissa and I talked about it after, and this birth felt more like a family birth bc of how many people were there. Juniper's birth, it was only Creighton, Melissa, and I. And Hannah arrived after baby was born. So that birth felt more intimate and quiet. But overall, I am happy that it happened when it did, that I am not pregnant anymore, and that it was a smooth quick birth. You never know how it all will happen. But when you trust in your body, and connect with baby, it truly does happen at the right timing.
Big thanks to:
My husband, Creighton
Melissa Mayo (midwife)
Eliza and Hope (Birth assistants)
Heidi Scott (doula)
Becky Bench (friend and 2nd doula)
Lindsey Kelly- Labor of Love photography
Laural Higgins- watched my kids to I could labor and rest














































No comments:
Post a Comment