Thursday, April 13, 2017

Birth of Juniper Rose

From my previous post, you know what I did so that I was fully prepared to give birth, emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Here is a list:

*Kundalini Yoga meditation *Connecting to God for Guidance *Yoga and Prenatal yoga *Acupuncture
*Birth Education- techniques for pain relief and comfort/ progression *Foot zone *Energy work *Pelvic floor exercises/ tupler technique*Regular exercise *Supplements *Good nutrition*Good support in labor * Fear processing

SO here we go! I went 11 days past my due date. Lily was 5 days past due. Iris was 15 days past due. So I was not worried about the timing and I am under great care with an amazing midwife. What is amazing is how God knows what is best and he answers prayers in ways that are unexpected. For me, I had such a hard time choosing a midwife- going between 2 that felt so right. Even when praying, I had the impression that they both good and I would not go wrong with one over the other. And that the decision I made would be the right one. So with that I chose Melissa. I really wanted Hannah. So I did the next best thing, which was prenatal yoga with Hannah. Being past due, all of Melissa's assistants were out of town. I suggested calling Hannah and Melissa did and she was happy to come! That brought be excitement, a real glimpse of excitement for labor.  And that it what happened. I had both midwives that I originally wanted and felt connected to. I would not have predicted it to happen in this way. God answers prayers and knows our needs.

On Friday night April, 7th, I was feeling emotional with worry about recovery. I went to prenatal yoga and felt the emotional release through the session. After, we chatted about my concerns and I knew that this was the last thing that needed to be taken care of. I came home and chatted with my upstairs neighbor and she volunteered to help me with child care so I could rest after giving birth. She made a schedule, talked to the RS and people at church, and called my friends and scheduled most of it. How grateful I am to her.

Beginning at active labor.


Creighton and I went to bed late that night, close to 1 am. We went to bed, and I was having braxton hicks contractions, which was normal for me. So I thought nothing of it. I didn't fall into a deep sleep. I noticed around 2 AM that what I was not calling contractions was feeling more uncomfortable and I felt a lot of pressure by my poop hole. I said a little prayer asking for a good nights sleep, and the spirit told me "nope not this time...". I don't know a better way to phrase it. I couldn't sleep through it any longer. I texted Melissa at 2:25 AM to update her. I timed a few contractions and she said she was up and getting ready. She asked if I wanted her to come and I wasn't sure. after a few min, I said yes. Creighton was so tired that i didn't really want to wake him up. At 2:30 we were both up because Melissa was on her way. I started getting really shaky already. My hand and legs. I could not stop shaking.

Then Iris started crying and I called Crystal and asked her to come get the girls, while I was leaning over the birthing ball experiencing contractions. She came down on got the girls. Melissa came and she and Creighton were setting up the tub while I was going through contractions listening to hypnobabies Easy First Stage. That helped get positive phrases in my mind. Kamali'i, our birth photographer arrived as well around 3ish or so and she was so excited to be there. I was able to chat with her for a little bit between contractions.

As they got a little harder I needed Creighton's help. He was squeezing my hips with his knees giving counter pressure, which i needed each contraction. He was also rubbing my hips and back. And starting helping me with low moans. Those low moans really helped me and I focused on breathing the baby down.

It was announced that I could go into the tub and I gladly got in. I mostly leaned over the edge. It felt like instant relief going into the warm tub, which was short lived because contractions continued. When I felt a pressure wave coming, I'd shout out "Creighton! its coming.." or "Help! Help!". Creighton and Melissa would come over to me. Creighton would hold my hands or rub my shoulders, telling me to relax my jaw, and reminding me to do low moans. Melissa would rub my hips. There were many times that 2 contractions would come after another and the pressure by my anus was be really strong and intense. Melissa got cold rags for my head and shoulders and that felt really good. One contraction I remember telling Melissa that I just wanted my hands massaged.

What each contraction felt like was this tightening that gradually but strong came and the pressure down below increasing each time. That was probably the most uncomfortable part was the pressure by my anus. I sat back after leaning over the tub for awhile and changed back to the somewhat of a squat position. One of the moments that I remember is thinking, "I just want to be done. I'm so tired". And these words came to my mind: "You are doing marvelous! You are almost done." My feeling is that it came from my Great grandmother who was a midwife, who has already passed on. I didn't really know what almost done meant. I think it was around 4:40 am or so. I just wanted to meet the baby. I focused each contraction on breathing down so the baby can come down better.

With one contraction, I felt the baby move down, literally. Melissa helped my get my swim suit bottoms off.Something I didn't feel so distinctly before. "I'm done!" I said. "I just want to meet my baby". Melissa told me to feel underneath and I could feel the baby's head. Creighton got into the tub with me to catch the baby. Feeling the head gave me hope, but I still wasn't done and I did not have the urge to push yet. It did come and I tried to breathe down, wanting to yell and starting to but changing it to a downward pressure. I took advantage of the breaks where I could just close my eyes even asking at times for a break.Then the next push would come. I think it was the 4th push that i felt the ring of fire, the stretch and yelled out that her head came out. Then the next push or 2 where her body came out. What a relief! I was so tired and glad the the hardest part was done. at 5:15 AM

I sat back holding my baby and it was a girl! I was shocked. I really thought it was a boy and the baby felt like a boy. Bu here was this perfect little girl in my arms. And she cried immediately after coming out of the water. She was beautiful. The word to describe it best is relief. She wanted to nurse really soon after. It took about 20 min and she latched on. It was a beautiful moment.

Minutes after Juniper was born, Hannah the other midwife arrived. I would have loved to have her there during my labor, but it wasn't what happened. I was glad to have her presence there, for her help that she was able to give. It took about 20ish minutes for the placenta to be born. Creighton and I cut the cord together. Hannah helped me out of the tub and helped with all the new born stuff, and made sure that I ate.
Creighton calmed her down with his voice, which was really sweet. Melissa left around 7:30 or 8 am and we slept until 12. Well, Creighton slept and I was in and out of sleep. All in all, it was great experience and I am so blessed for all the help I have had along the way with this journey of pregnancy, labor, and delivery.

She was 7.9 lbs, 20.5" long, and her head was 13".










No comments:

Post a Comment