As I stated in my last post, I was 15 days past due with this little lady. My body was taking its time. There were things I needed to resolve with the baby regarding her fears (using energy work to release it). I told her positive affirmations of how loved she was and how excited we were for her to come. On The day before going into labor I took an evening to myself to swim some laps at the beach and do some meditation. I left feeling so relaxed. My visiting teacher offered to do a pedicure for me, which was awesome because not only did it feel great, but it was stress relieving. I was able to socialize, get to know her better. It included the foot bath, the massage, painting of my nails, etc. It was during this time that contractions were becoming very frequent, they were light, but getting pretty tight. I went home that night figuring it might happen the next day. I prayed that night that I would be able to sleep well and be rested, which my prayers were answered.
last PG pic 42 weeks
Jaymie and Creighton setting up
Selena setting up the tub while I do contractions
The next morning started as any other morning, feeding lily, then getting us breakfast. Around 8 am, I was standing and something gushed out like I peed my pants. It wasn't much, but there was a lot of mucus that came out. I texted my midwife you told me just to keep her posted. More mucus came out when I went to the bathroom that morning. I started a session by email because I really wanted to get it done before I actually went into labor. While I was doing this, I started getting contractions where I had to stop what I was doing till it passed. This started about 10 or 10:15 am. This happened a several times. I texted my midwife again letting her know. She called me and told me to time the contractions for 30 minutes. They were about 6-10 minutes apart for an hour. I let Nancy my doula know as well and she gave Creighton instructions. I really had to started focusing through them in this time and used the birthing ball while on my knees, smelling Pure Tranquility Essential oil. We put Lily down for a nap around 10:30ish. The nice thing about being at home was that Lily could sleep through labor instead of rushing her somewhere. Jaymie, one of my midwives arrived around 11:30. She started setting things up right away. I do have to add that Creighton was awesome throughout thw whole birth. From the beginning, he immediately started cleaning up and getting the house ready for birth, and made the strawberry lemonade drink (made from scratch and its amazing) and did this without any prompting. He was helping me with each contraction at the same time, helping me breath through them, and used the analogy of my being like a fish without being affected by gravity. This changed to a sea turtle just going with each wave as it comes.
My other midwife, Selena arrived around 12ish. They started setting up the tub for the birth and getting all their supplies up. I was just going through contractions using the birth ball, smelling Pure tranquility during contractions and eucalyptus between. Nancy, our doula arrived at 1 pm. We got about half the tub filled up with hot water when the power went out... right during my labor. It was prefect timing. This meant we could no heat up more water. I could not really focus on this much because the contractions were gradually increasing in intensity, though I was concerned. Having Nancy there was an extra support I realized I really needed after she got there. Her presence brought an extra assurance and peace to me. She and Creighton were the main people helping me during contractions. She was pressing on my hips while Creighton was in front of me helping me to relax. I birthed on the ball a little while longer because of the power outage. Lily woke up close to 2 pm. It was crazy. She sensed something different in the room that day and was standing in front of me, giving me hugs, putting her hand on me. I was on my knees leaning on the ball and would hold her sides during a contraction and she brought me so much peace. She gave loves and kisses. She also wanted to go into the tub. She was really cute and I did not know what to expect, I loved having her at part of my birth. I went into the tub before 3 pm. And that brought me more relaxation. I truly needed that. Lily really wanted to come in too. Lily like the thermometer. It was a duck. I love the feel of the water and how it helps relax me, though it was not as relaxing as my birth with lily. After awhile, I decided to go to the bathroom. Jenny picked up Lily after 3 to watch her during the birth.
I did part of my labor sitting on the toilet, where it was getting more intense and shorter in between contractions. Everyone was crowded around the door. I started feeling burning and intense sensations. Aside from picturing how everyone was there, it feels like a blurr now. They asked what I wanted and I didn't really know. I made my way back to the tub, where the burning, and stretching continued with the contractions. Things that helped me was looking into the eyes of Jaymie as she told me exacgtly what I needed to hear- to welcome this pain, its bringing me closer to me baby etc. And Nancy, you told me I was doing this just right, not to fear the contractions. Creighton who breathed with me through contractions, and someone holding my hands at the same time, helping me to relax my body. I could feel all of the stretching with each contraction. I was tired and sweating.
Powerful surges shortly before pushing- Jaymie Lewis talk me through it
One awesome thing about the trades I did to make this home birth happen is that both my midwife and my doula knew how to muscle test. There were times where I didn't know what was best, so I would ask them to test for me the best positions for me. During the pushing, my hips were tight. Nancy was able to muscle test for me and release some trapped emotions, and she felt an immediate difference in how tight my hips were and then the baby was able to come out more easily. I love energy work.
A small bubble of amniotic fluid in a little sac came out with a push, which felt kind of weird because I could reach down and touch it. In my mind and heart, I was asking God for help, for strength, and angels to help bring the baby down to make it easier for me. I was exhausted and had a hard time catching my breath. With a good push, out came her head. I was in a squat position and then with another big push her body came out. Creighton said that when her head came out, she was looking around turning her head while under water. Whe she slid out, I sat back next to Creighton and she was on my chest at last. I was so so grateful. She was just chilling out on my chest and we were looking at her in awe, and kissing her. She was relaxed and seemed to just be taking everything that happened in. The placenta came out 5 or 10 minutes later. Iris was pink and plump, a bigger baby than Lily though it did not phase me until later. We rubbed the vernix into her skin while we waiting for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing and turn white. Everyone was taking in the beauty of the moment with a brand new baby welcomed into the world. She was born at 5:36 pm
Right after Iris was born and waiting for the placenta
Baby Iris still connected to the placenta
Bonding time
I had a small tear because her hand came out with her head, then her other arm popped out, telling us she has probably had her hands by her face most of the PG. In short, this home birth went amazing. I had a 7.5 hour labor, about half the time with Lily's labor. It was more intense, but I had the right team to help me in every way I needed. It was not easy for me. I expected to use the hypnobabies CD's but with the power outage, I forgot about them. I was never pressured to do anything I did not want to do. I never got checked. It all just happened in its own time. I did not have the stress of going to the hospital, dropping Lily off somewhere, getting checked, having any monitors aside from getting the babies heart rate every hour. I was surrounded my love, support, and angels were there in the room with us. She was not born in the sac like I was hoping, but she was born into the peaceful environment that I wanted. I can't believe I delivered an 8 lb 1oz baby, 21 inches long, 14 inch head circumference. I did it.
My birth with Lily taught me that getting educated about birth, the intensity of contractions could decrease, belief that our bodies CAN indeed birth a baby without medication, and loving support could help one achieve a natural birth. This time, I learned having a peaceful environment, emotional preparation with fears, and a birth team who supports our goals, and no pressure for progression can help anyone breath through and relax through the work of labor. It started calm, and it ended calm and I am so grateful I was able to do a home birth.
(More pictures to come once we get them from the birth photographer)
Iris latched on after we went to the bed. It was a little more of a learning curve, but after a few days, she has it down really well. She is a calm peaceful baby. It is a transition for Lily. Some days have been harder for her than others, but she is also very loving to Iris.
I have a lot of people to thank for helping everything to happen to help us have our needs met, and to have a peaceful birth:
Jenny Yamamoto- for planning a baby shower and watching Lily during the birth
Nancy Holbrook- for being our doula, letting us do a trade so we can afford it, and also helping to plan a baby shower. She thought of the idea for the Tibetan blessing flag, which we put up for the birh.
Melissa arias- For taking maternity photos for us
Lieren- for giving me a pedicure
Chelsea De La Cruz- Letting lily spend one night at your house and playing with your kids
Alisa Smith- for an energy session
My sisters- who were doing energy work for me to help my body and mind be ready for labor
All those who gave us prayers- It all made a difference
All those who brought and are bringing us meals
Jaymie- who dehydrated the placenta in =to a powder for us
Selena- who helped make this birth possible and working with us financially
and more. If you are not mentioned, your service/love means more than you know to us
Monica- our birth photographer who was so generous to us
Creighton- who helped me with every contraction and is helping make it so I can rest and recover.





No comments:
Post a Comment